October 6, 2009
Tyhee Pow Wow
A couple weeks ago Chloe's whole school held during class a Native American Pow Wow honoring Indian Heritage. Tyhee has a large native american population (1/2 & 1/2) which some parents I know don't really care for. I like the diversity and things Chloe gets to learn about. At Thanksgiving for example because of the awareness of "Indians" sharing thier food with the "Puritans" she comes home with different stories. It's amazing to me in 2009 that there is still a little bit of seperation between the "white folks" but I took this picture because I sat on the Native American side not thinking anything of it, when I noticed all the other families sat on the opposite side . 
It is true, the reality of what some races are blessed and not so blessed with. Their artisitc & creative ability when I teach art in class each month some of thier artwork totally stands out from the other kids. They choose brighter colors and paint very well.
When the drum started to beat and the "howls & cries" from the voices of the circle of men drummers I got tears in my eyes! (yes, I'm pregnant!) But there was a pretty powerful feeling in the air. I've been reading this book about 1,000 white women that were traded to Indian tribes in Montana under President Grant. They talk about childbirth and how they believe that the shaking women experience right before pushing and after the birth is the "spirit" entering the physical body of the baby. I believe that's not too far off.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment