March 5, 2010

Gabrielle 'COCO' Chanel



The story of Chanel - Coco avant Chanel = Coco before she was Chanel.

I didn't remember until I just saw the movie ( it's in French but has english subtitles too, also is a bit bold for PG-13 you can rent it at the RED BOX) Anywho, I realized that I had jotted down one of my favorite quotes displayed in a window scene (of Galeries Lafayette) in a small town of my mission in France. I looked through my journal and found the quote:
"Si vous etes triste, si vous avez un chagrin d'amour, maquillez-vous, mettez du rouge a' levres, et attaquez: Les Hommes detestent les pleureuses" ~ Gabrielle Chanel
= Basically it says "If you are sad, if you have a broken heart (heartache), apply your make up, put on your lipstick and attack: Men hate cry babies."

The department store where I saw the window display


Here she is- "Coco" in her glory days , black blouse with pearls in the 1960's. Everyone said she was too plain in the late 1930's. An orphan, She built an empire in a Mans world until she died working one Sunday in 1971.

No comments: